Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Llana update

This is Llana's new favorite place. Someone had moved a chair in the hallway and threw a blanket on it, and she's now claimed it as HER spot. I moved the blanket the other day and she was all you must be kidding. Sorry kiddo. A wonderful friend of my mom's Jane gave us a window perch that her cat wasn't using anymore and she's starting to really love it. Her chunky butt was not fitting on that windowsill alone anymore.

She's officially off of antibiotics. She had three rounds of them and we determined we should give her a break, even though she is still sneezing. Honestly I can't tell if she's doing better, worse, or what. All of that wonderful snot seemed a little bloodier the other day, but I think I was just stressing. She isn't the type of cat that I can really tell if she's having a good day or bad day. With Bear I can tell when he doesn't feel good because he isn't doing the typical BOUNCING OFF OF THE WALLS or shoving something he shouldn't have in the first place in my lap to throw. With her she lays around most of the time anyway so what am I supposed to base this off of? Carl asked if we could take her temperature the other day, and I was like yeah sure but your putting the thermometer in. To say the least once I explained where it went he was past that idea.

We've also started this awesome routine of spraying a saline mixture down her nose. It's great. Really. If anyone wants to come over and experience this miracle themselves, shoot me an e-mail. It would be hard to give this responsibility to anyone else, but I guess I could let go for one round. I tried explaining to her, after I basically tackled her so I could prevent her escape, that this was to HELP HER and she should be HAPPY that someone will take the time to shove this bottle in her face and spray stuff down her nose. No dice.

I mean heck she only gets Interferon and Lysine everyday, what's a little saline four or five times a day?

If we could get some good thoughts sent her way that would be great. I need to get her over this last hurtle. The saline is hopefully going to help heal the burst blood vessels in her nasal cavity. We also have a cool air humidifier going to help keep it moist in there. Her eye looked goopy yesterday too so I'm praying she isn't getting a situation in her eye too. She has enough situations.
Some days I stare at them and think, if I worry about you two this much, how am I ever going to have a human baby?

There is SOME progress. She can actually meow now, versus when she would just open her mouth and nothing would come out. She is using this to her advantage to let me know it's time for breakfast at 5:00AM.

We also worked on fixing Bear's food issue some more. He wasn't doing any better on the dry food with the canned wet food mixed in. Thank you so much everyone who offered suggestions, it was a huge help. On a suggestion from someone I know who works at PetCo, we started mixing in half of a pouch of the Nutro with his food. Did it make a difference? A little. This morning I made the mistake of moving from where I was sitting on the bed to the closet to put laundry away, and that was it, he wasn't eating anymore. He HAD TO KNOW what I was doing. I could be getting ready to do something much more fun than eating. I told him he could always hang clothes and I'll go eat.

I think our next move is to try the fish kibble recipe that Nutro offers. I mean he loves to eat the cat food. And the cat treats. And THE CATNIP!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were having so many issues w/ your poor pets! Glad to hear that Llana is doing better... I'm sending her vibes for a quick recovery! Is Bear not eating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there are always issues in this house lol. Bear is just the worst eater ever... he's gone days without eating just because he doesn't feel like it. It's an anxiety thing. Llana is FIV/FeLV positive so she's immune deficient. We're having a really hard time getting her completely over this upper respiratory infection. She'll always have the diseases but may be asymptomatic for a time, even though they will most likely shorten her life span. We wanted to give her a chance at a normal life.

    Thanks for the vibes, we really need them. Feeling them already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutro is not really a good choice. I recommend avoiding advice from any big box store employees, they kinda just say whatever the companies tell them to say. Nutro was bought out by Mars candy who owns Pedigree & Whiskas and all those lovely brands.. they are prone to recalls and are cheaping out on ingredients now so the new formulas can cause stomach upset. plus the recalls.. Petco has wellness but it's expensive there... spots stew is an okay brand. you could try feeding Bear some spots stew. that's also a bit expensive though. Nutro has alot of wheat gluten and other gross stuff in their pouches... if you ever have a chance to stop in bills i can give you some free samples of stuff. My fav. brand is natura pet... naturapet.com healthwise is what my cats eat it's really good and super cheap.

    ReplyDelete