Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Tuesday hello

I spent the morning at the shelter. There was tons of fun to be had... puppies pooping, kitties biting (yay benadryl), and doing a cat series for the front lobby...
I was off to do the dog pictures and took this guy out. How stinkin' cute is he?! Meet Marco!

Something I wanted to mention about my "cat series." For those photogs out there that volunteer at their local shelter, here's an idea if you'd like to share. A few months ago I was brainstorming on how to get the long timers out. For us that is mostly cats. I sat down and made a list of the cats that had been there the longest (which for some was over one year). Then I begged for help from someone at the shelter, and after a very long day had beautiful images of all of those cats. At the time what I did was shoot each cat under studio lighting with a black background. I then printed each in an 8X10 and hung them in our lobby. Within a week, the two cats that had been there longest, Chloe (--who had been with us for fourteen months) and Sprite a beautiful girl who had cerebellar hypoplasia (I believe she was about fourteen months also) both went home. Within roughly a month, every cat on the wall (except one) went home. I

I decided to nix the studio lighting this time, as for one I can't stand doing it, and two I didn't have anyone to help me. So I took the kitties outside for some really nice natural light. Here's some of my results:

Tammy, who has feline leukemia

Snow-- such a beauty. She has some problems with anemia, but should have a nice life ahead of her.

And Tom :)

I'll let you know how this series works out. Cross your fingers that everyone goes home quickly. These are all really sweet cats who deserve their forever home.

No comments:

Post a Comment